Monday, March 26, 2012

On the road to independence...


SO...I have this boy named Evan. He is 4 years old...almost 5. He is the sweetest thing that walks this living Earth. He is SO very easy to have at home. All he needs is his imagination, and the kid is stoked. He could stay in his pajamas all day, with one sock on, half of what he has eaten all over his face and shirt, and not even notice. He is very low maintenence...to say the least. BUT...I have learned something about Evan that is worlds apart from Raegan. He is completely dependant on me for everything! Dressing him is like dressing an infant...minus strapping on the diaper. Literally. I cant figure out whether its just a 'boy' thing, or his thing, but my goodness! I recognized one day that I am doing him a great disfavor. He needs to be independent...and I guess I have to teach him. NEVER, I mean NEVER, did I ever have to think about it when this particular issue came to Rae. The girl seriously has been wanting to do e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g on her own since she turned 2. To the point of frustration on my end every now and then:) Oh, how I took advantage!
Anyhow, I came across this show called Supernanny that has changed my life:) She has so many great methods and tricks, that after watching a few episodes, I modified a few of her methods and came up with the 'Evan Method'. A chart of some tasks he needs to master, some stickers, a lot of enthusiasm, instant rewards (stickers) as well as long term rewards (see below). He was flying through the tasks, like he knew how to do them all along. All he needed was me on board. I am now! After getting a certain amount of stickers, he got a BIG reward...

1 comment:

Auntie Elaine said...

Supernanny has some GREAT ideas! I watch it sometimes wishing I had her when I was raising my girls. She has a way of showing that so much of parenting is changing the parent's behavior!! LOL You guys are GREAT parents so no harm is using other's ideas, especially when it's successful!! YAY for you and EVAN!! Love you All! :-)